Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Background

I am a scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado, in Boulder, Colorado, USA. I study natural processes in cold regions of the world, for example, aspects of snow, permafrost and sea ice. The pictures below are from some previous Arctic research expeditions. Last year (2013) I was part of a scientific cruise in the Arctic Ocean and I will write about that in the next blog post.

This year (2014) will be my first visit to the Antarctic and I will make some blog posts during the six weeks I am stationed there. I will be working on the Automated Weather Station (AWS) network that is run by the University of Wisconsin's Antarctic Meteorological Research Center.

Surveying on the Arctic Tundra, 1998 (Photo: M.Sturm)


Drilling into the permafrost in Arctic Alaska in preparation for installing instruments to measure soil temperature, 2010 (Photo: T. Douglas)

  About to ride down a ridge, Happy Valley, Alaska, 2011 (Photo: M.Serreze)

Finishing a long ski traverse wearing a MagnaProbe, which is an instrument for measuring snow depth. (Photo: C. Hiemstra)



1 Comments:

At December 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM , Blogger erin said...

This is cool as s-word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home